Friday, October 10, 2008

I've decided...

...that I hate hands. Not the appendages themselves, but drawing them. I've got one in particular that is driving me up the wall. I spent......oh...... 3+hrs beating my head against the perverbial wall, trying everything I could think of and breaking out all my books to get this one hand to look right. And what did I accomplish? Well, now there is a blank spot where a hand should be while I work on the finishing touches of the rest of the piece until I'm able to approach it again. *sigh*. This sucks. I KNOW I can do this... it's just..... being.... difficult.

Don't you hate it when you KNOW you can do something... but the ability is eluding you all the same. ACK! It's driving me nuts. Well, I'm hoping that keeping away from that part will help me to approach it anew later today. I gotta get this piece done.

More random rants:
So, I finally got off my butt and I'm borrowing audio books from our public library to listen to while I work. Currently I'm listening to Isaac Asimov's I, Robot.

First... though I haven't seen much of the movie they made... it's painfully obvious the book and the movie have nothing to do with each other (as if you didn't already know that.)

Second... what happened with the way people view problems with technology? Now a-days the plot would have been very much like the stupid movie. "We screwed up! We never should have tried to make these things! Why didn't we listen?!" oh...a crappy Johnny 5 rip off message.... and all that other bull shit. I hate all that Luddite rhetoric.... but anyway, that's the mentality today. A robot goes bad... well, we shouldn't have built it in the first place. We created something evil. Or it's a weak ass attempt at a commentary on how we're all really the same and prejudice is bad.

But in Asimov's book, that is not the case at all. Even in a life or death situation there is NEVER a hint of "We shouldn't have meddled". Instead, they viewed it as a problem that needed to be solved... and they solved it. Pure and simple. The robots weren't evil... just different. GOD I MISS THAT MENTALITY. The view that we, as humans, can accomplish any goal and overcome any obstacle. That we are SUPPOSED to push past boundaries and continually strive to better ourselves and continue to grow in every way. We need that back.

This luddite crap we have now is really what is keeping us back. This view that we shouldn't be learning about and testing DNA and how our bodies work, that we shouldn't be researching fusion power plants, that we shouldn't be trying to learn about the universe and how it was created, that we shouldn't be trying to improve every aspect of life, that we should go back to living in caves, being hunter gatherers, being frightened by lightning and dying at the ripe old age of 22. I really want to punch people who say that crap.

ok... had to rant. Just, this book gets me excited for the future... then I turn around and see all the negative crap that is being spouted now. :( get's me depressed.
-Kat

No comments: