Saturday, October 4, 2008

Miramar Air Show

Well, it's October once again and with October comes our annual trip to the Air Show . First, let me start by spazing hardcore over the following image. That is an F-22 Raptor, P-51 Mustang, and an F-16 Viper flying directly over my head! I gotta tell you, the other two planes are cool, but seeing the Raptor fly in person had to have been one of the coolest things I have ever seen in my life. I had heard the Raptor could practically turn on a dime in mid-air... but to actually SEE it... WHOA!!!

And, of course, there was the always awesome Harrier demonstration. This is a picture of it "lifting off" after hovering dead in the air for about a minute or so. Some other planes they demonstrated this year were an F4U Corsair, C130 Hercules (gotta love the rocket-assisted take off), a MiG-17 (which Josh and I unfortunately missed) and the Blue Angels in their F-18s. I hate to say it but... um... as cool as the Blue Angels are (and I have a lot of respect for those guys) the F-18 just can't hold a candle to the F-22 Raptor on the coolness factor.

The tarmac displays seemed kinda skimpy in comparison to previous years, but considering our current military situation, it's understandable. I was hoping to see the mock-up (or a real one) of the Joint Strike Fighter again but it was sadly absent. As well, they usually have an F117 but unless it was in the Consumer Show hanger, it wasn't there this year.

They did have an Osprey though, which was very cool because I had never seen one up close before. As well they had another Harrier, B-17, E3 Sentry, a bunch of Chinook helicopters, A6 Intruder, EA-6B Prowler, AH-64 Apache (always cool), AH-1W and AH-1Z Cobras (awesome seeing the two different versions), F4 Phantom, plently of F-18s, C-17, MH-53 Sea Stallion, A-7 Corsair II, and an MQ - 1 Predator with it's pilot. That was very cool getting to meet the pilot of a Pred. Nice guy. He seemed a little confused why we wanted to talk to him... but he let us take his picture and answered our questions.

I always get a kick out of seeing the Predator. It and it's sister plane, the Reaper will always have a special place in my heart because of my dad. :)

Tonight we tried to go to the Twilight show but unfortunately it started to rain so we left before the famous Wall performance could take place. One of these days I'm going to see that part of the show. Last time we got tickets we left early as well because we'd had a long day and were falling asleep in our chairs.

-Kat

No comments: