Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Holocaust Survivor Tries to get Paintings Back.

Ok, I'm not one for jumping in on "causes" because most of them are crap and boarder on being a scam. This one, however, touched me and I just want to share it.

Read The Full Article at The Pulse:

I will warn you that I think the author of this article went a bit over the top in some parts with his description of the issue. Making statements like "The Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum should not be allowed to continue to perpetrate the tragedy that was the Holocaust." Just a bit too sensationalistic if you ask me... but I think the overall message and story are worth sharing.

Long story short, Dina Gottliebova Babbitt survived the Holocaust and saved her mother's life by painting portraits of Mengele's "subjects" because he didn't like photography. 30yrs. ago some of her paintings resurfaced and are now at the Auschwitz Holocaust Museum. Dina has asked the museum to return the paintings to her, stating that they can still display good quality replicas of the paintings (something they are already doing according to the article) but she would like the originals back. They have refused, claiming that they belonged to Mengele himself and were "work for hire".

Now, I can understand that, this is a museum and they want the prestige of having the originals in their possession. But if they are displaying replicas anyway, what's the harm in giving back the originals? And I'm sorry but "paint or be gassed" does not equal "work for hire" in my book.

So, at the very least, take the time to read the sections "Dina Babbitt's Story" and "Immovable Object: The Auschwitz Museum" in this article. Then, if you are so inclined, send the Museum an email. Their address is at the bottom of the article.

Thank you.

-Kat

No comments: